Google
Museumgeeks: Director of "Rivers and Tides"

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Director of "Rivers and Tides"

The Google Alert I have set for environmental artist Andy Goldsworthy sends me all sorts of stuff about stray Andy Goldsworthys around the world--have to work on that--but also provides some stray Goldworthy-related stuff that sends me off in unexpected Goldsworthian directions. A case in point is the item below that mentions a new and very different effort by Thomas Riedelsheimer, director of Goldsworthy's "Rivers and Tides." You can find the full writeup on this site (sorry, but you have to scroll down a bit to find it). Apparently there's a film festival in San Fran this weeekend, the 3rd I Film Festival, and the film mentioned below is just one of a host of interesting films, including a great-sounding one from Sri Lanka, that the site describes. The Riedelsheimer one (if I have to type that name again, and type it wrong five times again, I'm going to scream) is not the most interesting one described, in my opinion, but Riedelsheimer's work (AHHHHH! Sorry. It's been a long morning) on the Goldsworthy documentary was so amazing that it seems worth checking out other work he's done/does, Anyway, here's the writeup:

"Originally, I wasn't planning to see Between the Lines: India's Third Gender. Over the years I've seen a number of features and documentaries about the hijiras of India (most of them at the Frameline festival), and thus wondered if I really needed to see one more. Between the Lines, however, happens to be photographed and edited by Thomas Riedelsheimer, director of the exquisite Andy Goldsworthy documentary Rivers and Tides. So yes, I do need to see this one, too. Praised by Variety's Jay Weissberg as representing "the best view to date into the world of the Indian eunuch," Between the Lines casts its focus upon three of these marginalized beings as they guide renowned photographer Anita Khemka through their singular world."

No comments: